As many long time Pinterest users know, search capabilities on Pinterest have been an area of interest and question, and Pinterest is taking their first major leap into the arena with a new feature announced today called guided search. With exploration at the forefront, they are introducing this feature as a way to guide a user’s time spent on Pinterest. By searching for specific categories, whether it be travel, books, food, or anything else – they will help direct users towards specific pins of interest. As they roll out this feature out, only available on the Pinterest mobile app at this time, there are a few key points we wanted to pass along. We’ve also included screenshots showing the guided search process below.
- Pinterest notes this will not impact their current algorithm for search, but they note meaningful pin descriptions are still the best way for users to find content.
- While they don’t specifically address implications for paid, one can assume this will be an area where brands will be able to utilize promoted pins in the future.
- This new impact on search is also a process on Pinterest’s part to bring more attention to engaging content, and less attention to the number of followers an account has. They are bringing user’s attention away from just the newsfeed and directing them to their areas of specific interest.
- Another interesting feature is that this is the first time Pinterest has utilized a video to promote a launch, which can be found here.
- Now, more than ever, it’s important for brands to have specific, hand-crafted captions to accompany each pin. Find more best practices for reaching pinners through search here.
Here’s how it works: